Jobs Tears (coix) seeds are a natural rosary bead.
(Mother Theresa’s favorite rosary was made from Job’s Tears!) Tear-shaped and grey, Jobs Tears grow with a natural hole through the middle and a shiny coating. I grow these rosary beads right here in my Wisconsin garden!
If you can’t figure out how to order Jobs Tears seeds through the website:
Send me a check for $16 per packet of 60 Job’s Tears seeds and I’ll send the seeds to you!
1300 Strong Avenue
Beloit, WI 53511
These natural beads are the seeds of a grain plant, much like a small, skinny corn, or a really robust rye. Job Tears most likely originated in India and were originally grown as a grain plant. These natural seeds have been used as a bead since at least 2,000 BC. Job tears have long been used in making rosaries and African shaker gourds.
* This listing is for one packet of 60 high-quality, natural Job Tears (coix lacryma jobi) seeds, suitable for growing or for beading! (Enough beads to make one rosary with a few left over for planting!)
* Seed size varies from about 6-8mm in diameter
* Seed color varies from light to dark variegated dove gray
* The price of these seeds includes free shipping within the United States
* Bulk seed pricing is $150 for half a pound (~900 seeds or 18+ packets) or $275 for 1 lb (~1800 seeds or 36+ packets) which includes shipping
Job Tears are surprisingly easy to grow. A grain plant, like a skinny corn or a robust rye grass, they grow 30-36″ high. Drought tolerant and requiring little in the way of nutrients, I’ve found that it’s best not to grow these natural beads in a very fertile vegetable garden space, and that they don’t need very much water or looking after. I grow my Job Tears in the little strip of ground between my driveway and the neighbor’s! Here’s a step-by-step tutorial I wrote for how to grow these natural beads.
I’ve purchased Job Tears seeds from a bead supplier and they were terrible! All white, cracking, and even the shape was substandard compared to firm, rounded Job Tears seeds I grow in my own garden. Like with so many things, there’s nothing like home grown, and once you hold your first handful of home-grown Job Tears seeds, you’ll never go back!