Last week, I mentioned that finding my top 5 core values is what inspired my newly rearranged workspace. This week, I’m going to help you find out what YOUR top 5 core values are!
Knowing your core values can help you find increased meaning and direction for all areas of your life. You’ve already got them and you’re already living them, but if you haven’t clearly delineated them and consciously decided which ones are the most important to you, then it’s easy to feel blown about and muddled by the emotional winds of your surroundings. When you’ve picked out your 5 most important core values, you’ll be able to pause before any decision and ask yourself if your choice is in line with what’s most important to you in life or not. You’ll also be able to return to your core values when you need inspiration (such as when you want to rearrange your workspace!)
- Go through this printable list of values (which I got from this really helpful site about core values!) and pick out 20 that really resonate with you.
- Narrow down those 20 values to the 10 most important.
- Narrow down those 10 values to the 5 most important.
- Decide what is their order of importance. Which of the 5 is least important, which is most important, etc.
- Do some creative journaling/brainstorming with your 5 most important core values. Get down what each of those values means to you. (“Beauty” might mean having an attractive personal appearance to one person and it might mean surrounding oneself with beauty to another and maybe creating beauty to someone else. Or it might mean all 3!)
- Return to your list of core values whenever you’re making a decision. Ask yourself: “Is this in line with those 5 most important things?”
Knowing your core values can help out in all sorts of areas in your life! From which shirt to buy and what to have for dinner to whether you should open a restaurant or become a raggle taggle gypsy :D Hope this is as fun for you all as it was for me! Next week, I’ll talk about how knowing your core values can help with branding your creative business. Until then, happy dreaming!!
Here's the journaling I did of my own Core Values: Self Reliance, Authenticity, Beauty, Wellness, and Heritage!